W9 Vibrating Wire Piezometer
Vibrating Wire Piezometer
The W9 Vibrating Wire Piezometer is designed for accurate and long-term measurement of pore water pressures in fully or partially saturated soil and rock.
The transducer is made from high-quality 316-grade stainless steel and is designed to handle pressure ranges from -50 to 4000 kPa. It incorporates an over-voltage surge arrestor that oﬀers protection from a lightning strike
The piezometer may be ﬁtted with either a low air entry sintered steel or high air entry ceramic ﬁlters. A coned nose piece is available for push-in installations. An integral thermistor for temperature monitoring is included.
- Small diameter
- Uses proven Vibrating Wire (VW) technology
- Manufactured from high grade 316 stainless steel for extended operation
- In-built temperature compensation
- Hermetically sealed
- Suitable for long-term monitoring
- No electronic components in sensor module
- Capable of measuring negative pore pressures to –50 kPa
- Fitted with thermistors for temperature monitoring
- Over 30 years of expertise in the design and manufacture of Vibrating Wire instrument technology
- Accurate, repeatable readings over long cable lengths
- Long working life, long term stability and reliability
- Fast response to pressure changes
- Design prevents case stresses from aﬀecting readings
- Over-voltage surge arrestor protects against electrical damage
- Connecting cable is strong, screened and ﬂexible
The Standard Vibrating Wire Piezometer is designed for the accurate measurement of pore water pressures in fully or partially saturated soil.
The piezometer tip has an integral porous filter element containing a diaphragm type Vibrating Wire pressure transducer. A cable connects the transducer to a read-out, terminal unit or data logger.
The readout can display either frequency based units, or on inputting the instrument calibration factor, it can also display engineering units.
Piezometers are used in geotechnical, environmental, and hydrological applications. They can be installed in boreholes, placed in ﬁll materials or open wells to measure water levels or pore water pressures to enable engineers to verify design assumptions and control placement of ﬁll. With a nose cone ﬁtted the piezometer can also be pushed into soft ground with a CPT rig.
Typical applications include:
- Environmental management including landﬁll sites
- Monitoring of aquifers
- Monitoring of tidal eﬀects on coastal soils
- Potential landslide sites
- Dewatering excavations
- Tailings lagoons
- Pumping tests
- Monitoring seepage
- Control placement of ﬁll.
Contact us for more information on the W9 Vibrating Wire Piezometer.