Vibrating Wire Load Cell
Vibrating Wire Load Cells are ideally suited for measuring loads in rock bolts, cable anchors and tendons, structural beams, piles, loads between tunnel supports and loads in pull-out tests on trial anchors.
The Vibrating Wire Load Cell is designed to directly measure load in piles, rock bolts and between tunnel supports, as well as tension in cable anchors.
The load cell comprises a set of up to six Vibrating Wire gauges mounted parallel to the cell axis and spaced equidistant radially in a cylindrical housing.
The load cell can be wired directly to a data logger, or connected via sheathed cable and a switched terminal unit to a readout unit.
Load cells are manufactured with a centre hole to accommodate rockbolts, tendons or anchor cables, but can be supplied with top and bottom load plates for use as a solid centre cell.
- Uses proven Vibrating Wire technology
- Accurate readings over long cable lengths
- Robust and with long term stability
- Fast response time
- Suitable for remote reading and datalogging
- Negligible temperature effects compared to oil-filled load cells
- Over 30 years of expertise in the design and manufacture of Vibrating Wire instrument technology
- Connecting cable is strong, screened and flexible and can be used in lengths over 1000m
A bearing plate is placed beneath the Load Cell to spread the load and take up any residual non alignment. Another bearing plate is placed between the cell and the anchor bolt or tensioning device.
The readings from up to six gauges are averaged to produce the total load for the cell.
Calibration factors are provided to enable direct reading in engineering units when using itmsoil VWnote readout. Alternatively, cells can be wired to a datalogger.
Vibrating Wire Load Cells can be used to measure general or specific loads.
Typical applications include:
- Rock bolts
- Tensions in cable anchors and tendons
- Structural beams
- Tunnel supports
- Loading and pull-out tests on trial anchors
- Loads during pile testing
- Loads in arch tunnel supports
- Long term loads in concrete dams